Thursday, May 28, 2009

Moonshine


And so the sun sets
leaving Cold and Dark
to meet Lonesome again.
Old friends, they greet
as if they've been apart forever.
But I know just as well as them
that they are together more often than not.
They embrace, Dark and Lonesome.
Cold sits at the edges
blowing frigid air towards them
reminding them of who they are.
Its enough to make my toes curl
and cause the hair on my arms to raise
as they do when I am frightened.
It's not something easily forgotten
the way your body wants to react
when something frightful occurs.
They turn their attention back to me
their own relations forgotten.
They touch my skin and blow back my hair
causing shivers to fun down my spine.
I sit with my knees pulled up to my chest
and my eyes closed tightly
as if to block out the fear
but that only makes Dark stronger.
And when I tell myself that it will all be over soon
Lonesome revels in my voice
for I am one.
I have no choice but to suffer.
I cannot make it better
without first making it worse.
And when I become numb to the pain
Cold begins to laugh
the laugh itself freezing my heart.
And with one final touch
it shatters
the pieces bouncing on the ground
like broken glass
or forgotten pearls
the crimson glowing in the absence of light
reflecting the moon back at itself.
And they leave
sulking away with one more conquest
wishing for better prey.
Someone who's stronger
who will be a challenge.
Someone who has more will to fight
instead of trembling with fright.

No comments:

Post a Comment